Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Men Who Stare at Goats

I must say that I enjoyed this film way more than I expected. It's a funny off beat comedy starring Jeff Bridges, Kevin Spacey, Ewen McGregor and George Clooney. I really expected this movie to be stupid and in a really annoying way but it turned out to actually be entertaining. I don't know why I thought this going in, I guess the trailer I saw just didn't work for me(maybe I was just in a grumpy mood). Sometimes entering a movie with low expectations can result in a really nice surprise.





Okay, so this movie is rather ridiculous. It's about a team of Army soldiers who are with a special unit that supposedly has super powers. Things like walking through walls, remote viewing, all the normal super power stuff. Ewen McGregor is a reporter that tags along with George Clooney on some random mission into Iraq. It turns out that Ewen McGregor has super powers as well and the universe actually sent him on this mission. Don't ask me exactly what that mission was though as I'm still not one hundred percent certain. It did seem to have a lot to do with taking acid and freeing goats.


Overall the acting in the movie was great. I especially liked Kevin Spacey playing the total dick head which seems to be a role that suits him. I'm not trying to put Kevin Spacey down here, I love watching him play these types of characters especially in a movie that isn't meant to be taken all that seriously. Tricking a guy into taking acid then freaking him out with by flicking a light in his face was pretty funny. The rest of the cast was solid as well. Jeff Bridges was another standout as the total hippie but the entire cast was great.


The only thing negative that I can say about this movie was it seemed a little thin in terms of plot. This caused the movie to slow down here or there. Luckily there was enough goofy humor and old school rock tunes to keep me involved. If your looking for something fun I'd definitely recommend this movie. I give it a B+.

0 comments:

Post a Comment