Saturday, February 20, 2010

Shutter Island Review

This was a February movie. It certainly wouldn't have held up during the Christmas rush that's for sure. It wasn't the worst movie ever or anything like that it was just really disappointing for a Scorsese film and quite frankly I don't think I've ever been disappointed by a Scorsese movie. At least not that I can remember. So it goes.



For starters the movie was just slow. The pacing was almost painfully slow at some points. I guess you could blame the script because there really wasn't that much going on during a lot of segments in the movie. To make matters worse it was freakin' long. It was easily over two hours and it really didn't need to be that long. You can't create suspense just by killing the pacing and adding a weird score.

Shutter Island did manage to have some interesting shots. I especially liked some of the surreal dream sequences in the movie. Some of these managed to be fairly interesting to look at even though some clichéd devices were used to make them look visually exciting. Okay, paper or feathers or something else flying around in the air does look cool but we've all seen it before.

Having never read the book I was a little bummed out with how the movie ended. There's a big twist at the end and I don't want to ruin it for anyone, but I would have been happier if the movie continued with the path it was on. It would have left me liking the main character more and I knew the movie was going to end the way it did. You can predict the twist, I just found myself hoping it wouldn't go there as we got closer to the end. Also, that same type (or similar type) of twist has been done in other films which I wont name. I give it a C+.

0 comments:

Post a Comment